There has been a recent increase in the number of jellyfish around Folkestone’s coast. Certain jellyfish can give a nasty sting, and should be avoided. Never attempt to pick up or handle jellyfish, as shown below.
A Compass Jellyfish. Photo © Folkestone Rescue
We have had reports of numerous members of the public being stung over the last two weeks. When entering the water, please consider wearing protective clothing and footwear such as a full-length wetsuit and boots.
If you have been stung by a jellyfish, you should leave the water immediately and keep still. Any remaining tentacles should be removed with tweezers whilst wearing gloves. Taking painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen will help to lessen any pain or swelling. In most cases, liberally applying vinegar to a jellyfish sting can also be used to help neutralise it.
Do not apply any other substances (such as urine) to the affected area; these do not work and may make the injury worse. If symptoms persist or worsen, please contact your GP or NHS 111 for advice. If you have difficulty breathing after being stung, you should seek medical attention immediately by calling 999.
If you are stung during our operating hours, you can seek medical assistance from us at our container at the end of the Stade.
A Moon Jellyfish. Photo © Alexander Vasenin